Monday, July 14, 2014

Traveling America and Going Home for July the 4th

I love to travel and being older makes it more fun. I am not in a hurry. I can take time for me. I can take time for other people and allow life to do what life does best; bring people together who might never otherwise meet.

I never know whom I am going to meet only that I will meet people. Many, I will instantly love. Others may take a moment.

On my recent trip across seven states from Phoenix, Arizona to Gamaliel, Kentucky; I met the most amazing people. The first standout was a big rig driver named Sylvester. He was an angel sent to me. 

Sylvester drives to support his family of siblings, cousins, and in - laws. He provides all things necessary for life for them all. Many are ill in some context. Others are just down on their luck. He gets home once a month to check on his home and to make sure everybody has what they need.

He became my angel when I became separated from my bus ticket in Amarillo, Texas. I could not re-board the bus without my ticket. Sylvester re-boarded, found my ticket and came running off with it lifted up in his left hand. He looks like Chuck Norris. We were in Texas.

Once in KY, I reconnected with friends and family. My parents celebrated the 63rd Anniversary while I was there. They both went to bed around midnight on July 3rd. When it was officially July 4th, I could hear them wishing each other Happy Anniversary. Then I plugged my ears. Whatever they were doing after that was none of my business.

July 4, 1951
Left to Right Clyde and Betty Crawford, Cora Bell, and Oscar Crawford

Front Row Left to Right - Our Mother and Father
Betty Crawford and Clyde Crawford, Jr.
Back Row Left to Right
LaSandra Crawford Woods, Oscar Crawford,
L'Tanya Crawford, Ronnie Crawford and Lenora Crawford


Our annual 4th of July celebration of family, fun, food, and fireworks was a spectacular. Neighbors honor us with the smiles and not calling the police for all the noise we make. It was the first time my brother and our sisters have all been together since 1976 for my brother Ronnie's graduation form Kentucky State University.

Next time, meet friends I had not seen in four decades, family I did not know I was related, and paradise revisited.


No comments:

Post a Comment